1. Junior Division members must be enrolled in the 4-H Dog Project.
2. Exhibitor must own his project dog either individually or in partnership with parent or
guardian, during the complete duration of the project.
3. Exhibitor may bring & exhibit only 1 dog per class.
4. Members must complete the Pet Animal e-Record and Dog Supplement: and turn it into
the Washington County Extension Office by July 10 for judging.
1. Dogs entered must have been a part of the project since May 1 or before.
2. After once earning a score of 170 and above in obedience, 90 and above in
showmanship, 70 and above in rally competition as a 4-H project at the fair, that same
dog is no longer eligible for exhibition in that or lower classes, at any following fair.
3. A dog with a title in rally or obedience from any national dog organization, is
disqualified from entering the class for which the degree was awarded, or any lower
class, except; if the degree was won less than 4 months before fair, then the dog is
eligible for entry in the same class. Rule No. 1 above takes precedence over this rule.
4. Dogs can only be shown in one class (Level that the dog is currently being shown). The
member's years in 4 H has no bearing on which class to enter his dog except
sub-novice. Sub-novice A is only open to first year dogs and project members.
Exhibitor may show a different dog in obedience, showmanship and rally provided
they meet qualifications
5. Bitches in season may not be exhibited.
6. Dogs which are deemed to be a danger to people or other dogs can and will be
removed from the show grounds and all classes forfeited.
7. Show proof of vaccination for canine distemper virus and parvovirus within 3 years or
serum titers indicating proof of effective immunity on file in 4hOnline file by May 1st.
Show current Rabies vaccination certificate; titers are not accepted.
8. Do not bring dogs who have shown signs of respiratory, gastrointestinal, or skin
disease within 7 days prior to show.
1. Colorado 4-H Dog Trial rules apply to this show. A copy of the complete 4-H Dog
Trial information can be requested at the Washington County Extension Office (970-
345-2287) or online at http://co4h.colostate.edu/statefair/DogTrialContest.pdf
2. 4-H Competition will be divided into three divisions, Junior (8-10 yr old),
Intermediate (11-13 yr old), and Senior (14 & over) by December 31st of previous
3. All exercises will be judged according to the latest AKC Junior Showmanship, Rally
and Obedience guidelines except that registry of dog with AKC is not required. Some
exercises and rules may have been adapted from AKC to better serve the youth of this
4. Dogs must be on a leash at all times except when performing exercises off leash in the
show ring. No dog tags can be on the dog when showing in the ring. This includes name
tags, rabies tags, or anything else that hangs from the dog’s collar.
5. Dog Show officials can and will dismiss any entrant or his/her family from the show
for any mistreatment of dogs entered in this show. Likewise, any negative behavior on
the part of exhibitor, family members or leaders will result in disqualification and
forfeit of awards.
6. All exhibitors are responsible for clean-up after their dogs. Failure to do so can be a
basis for dismissal from the show.
7. Exhibitors must be in appropriate dress for competition; no flip-flop sandals, short-
shorts, thin-strapped t-shirts, or clothing with inappropriate words or graphics.
8. Showmanship: All 4-H members are required to show in showmanship and limited to
one dog per exhibitor. Novice classes are for members in their first year in the 4-H dog
project and have no prior outside showmanship experience. Small dogs will be
examined on a table for showmanship.
9. Obedience: Some exercises and rules may have been adapted from AKC to better serve
the youth of this program. The length of your obedience leash is required to be six feet
for all Sub Novice classes, but may be shorter for all other obedience classes. No dog
tags can be on the dog when showing in the ring. This includes name tags, rabies tags,
or anything else that hangs from the dog’s collar.
10. Rally: All jump heights will conform with current AKC height and broad jump
recommendations. Each member will be allowed only one run in each class with the
dog who has qualifiednfor that class. Walk-through will be announced. Youth will not
be allowed to walk through the pattern at any time other than the official walk-through
11. In all classes, ten points will be deducted in the Obedience and Rally classes for the
following: strong correcting, disciplining, fouling the ring, excessive barking, leaving
the ring, rules violation or showing fear.
12. Allowed collars in Obedience and Rally classes include: Flat or rolled leather with
buckle or snap closure. Flat or rolled nylon collars with buckle or snap closure.
Metal or nylon slip collar. No halties, gentle leaders, harnesses, or pinch collars will
be allowed in the show ring. Collars and leads must be 2 separate pieces. Slip leads
are not allowed.
13. Exhibitors entered in B classes will be judged at a higher skill level (handler errors)
than handlers entered in A classes.
14. Obedience will be scored as follows: Blue 170-200, Red 140-169, white 139 or
15. Showmanship and Record books will be scored as follows: Blue 85-100, Red 70 -84,
White 69 or lower points.
16. Rally will be scored as follows: Blue 100-70, Red 69-50, White 49 or lower points.
4-H/Junior Division Premiums:
Blue - $5.00; Red - $4.00; White - $3.00
Champion $15.00 and Reserve Champion $7.00
Trophies and Special Awards to be announced
1. Dog showmanship
a) Junior Novice
b) Junior Open
c) Intermediate Novice
d) Intermediate Open
e) Intermediate Advanced
f) Senior Novice
g) Senior Open
h) Senior Advanced
i) Master Showman
2. Dog Obedience—
(See Colorado 4-H Dog Trials for clarification)
a) Puppy Class -
b) Beginner Novice
a. Novice A
b. Novice B
c. Novice C– 1st yr
d. Novice C– 2nd yr
a. Novice A
b. Novice B
c) Graduate Novice
a. Pre-Grad A
b. Pre-Grad B
c. Grad Novice A
d. Grad Novice B
d) Advanced Obedience
a. Open A & B
b. Grad Open A & B
c. Utility A & B
e) Cloverbud Fun Class—youth 5-7 years
f) Veterans Obedience—dog 7 years old or over
a. Novice Veteran
b. Pre-Grad Novice Veteran
c. Grad Novice Veteran
d. Open Veteran
e. Grad Open Veteran
f. Utility Veteran
a) Novice A
b) Novice B
c) Intermediate A
d) Intermediate B
e) Advanced/Excellent A
f) Advanced/Excellent B
g) Excellent B
h) Excellent A
i) Advanced B
j) Advanced A
k) Novice B
l) Novice A
m) Cloverbud Fun Class
4. Dog Agility
a. Exhibition—All levels
This information will be updated annually or as rules and regulations change.